Your daily happiness platform.
A lemon poppy seed recipe and other reasons why you should love lemons.
When life gives you lemons celebrate them!
Lemons are natures cure for so many things. Yet many people seem to dismiss these yellow beauties. I don't and neither should you! Lemons are very good for your health. Among the many benefits of these packed with vitamin C wonders, they help keep wrinkles at bay, stimulate the digestive system and strengthens the liver.
Three simple ways to use lemons to benefit your health.
#1 Do you have a headache? A pounding throb in your head that keeps getting worse? Before the full attack on your brain start, drink black coffee with a squeeze of lemon juice. This may not taste great, but it sure helps.
#2 Lemons really are miracle workers of nature. Do you have a sore throat? Drink hot water with a slice of lemon. You will feel better. When your sore throat attacks your vocal cords and you lose the ability to speak, lemon juice will do the trick again. This time add the juice of one lemon to some honey. You'll be signing in no time.
#3 Start your day with warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice. This morning drink will help you flush out toxins and help you to lose weight.
If you still aren't convinced that consuming lemons are good for you here is a recipe to help you fall in love with these ovals shaped beauties.
Lemon and poppy seed loaf
Difficult level: Easy peasy lemon sqeezy
- 1 lemons
- 1 ¾ cups of flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons of water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with baking paper; make sure you leave an overhang on two sides. Whisk in a bowl the flour with the baking powder, the poppy seeds and ½ teaspoon of salt. In another bowl mix the butter with ¾ cup of sugar until fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs, the vanilla, milk and the zest of 1 lemon. Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.
Pour your batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes.
Check if your loaf is baked by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean your loaf is done. Now whisk ¼ cup of sugar, the juice of 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons of water together. Pour this mixture over the warm bread and let it cool for 1 hour. After 1 hour remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool completely before serving.
With love, Ana
An easy recipe to bake fortune cookies
May your days be filled with good fortune. Tomorrow is King's day in the Netherlands and for the occasion we baked orange fortune cookies. These delicious and very easy to bake goodies are fun to make. Here is the recipe.
One more thing, if you are in need of some good fortune and you are currently in the Netherlands head out to The Hague tomorrow. We will be handing out these happy fortune cookies.
Difficulty level: Happy days
To make 40 to 50 fortune cookies you'll need the following ingredients:
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups and 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cups and 1 tablespoon of all-purpose. flour
- a good pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- If you want to add a little color to your fortune cookie add food coloring
- Write fortunes or any message you want to share with the world on strips of paper.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the egg whites with the vanilla extract until foamy and light creamy, but not stiff.
- Now add the sugar, a pinch of salt and sift the flour into your egg mixture, whisk everything together until you have a lovely batter.
- If you like you can and food coloring and whisk it through your batter until you have the perfect color for your cookies.
- Use a stencil to help you create a perfect round cookie. Now place a tablespoon of batter and gentle spread the batter evenly into a round shape. You can only make two cookies at a time. But they bake fairly quickly.
- Bake the cookies for about 5 minutes or until the have a light golden color.
- Now comes the tricky part. You have to act quickly or your cookies will dry up and you won't be able to mold them into the required fortune cookie shape. With the help of a spatula remove cookie from your baking sheet, place your happy fortune inside, fold the cookie in half. Place the cookie for a minute on a cup to get its shape. Once your cookie looks nice you can place your cookie in a muffin tray to help it keep its shape.
Important bakers note:
Once you have figured out a good system and found your rhythm these babies will be a piece of cake to make. Like baking pancakes don't panic if the first batch doesn't look good. Practice and don't give up. I promise you will love making these little treats.
Now go bake and make someone else smile when they receive a homemade happy fortune cookie.
With love and be happy,
the happystepz duo
A simple and delicious recipe for shortbread cookies.
Easter Sunday is Easter Funday. Yesterday we shared with you our top ten fun Easter activities. How did you spend your day? Being the Picasso of egg painters, playing games with family and friends or lounging on the couch watching Netflix?
In case the Easter bunny was too fast for you to catch him and you didn't eat enough chocolates and sweets to satisfy your sweet tooth, here is a simple and delicious shortbread cookies recipe for you.
Difficulty level: Easy peasy
- 125 grams of soft butter
- 75 grams of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
- 135 grams of all-purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- cookie cutters in all kinds of shapes
Knead the butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, flour and pinch of salt together until you have a dough. Divide the dough into two halves, incorporate the cocoa powder into one of the halves. Now wrap each of the two dough halves into Saran Wrap. Let the dough rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
While you wait make yourself a cup of coffee. You deserve it after all that hard work. Baking is all about relaxing and having a good time. What is more relaxing than enjoying a cup of steaming hot coffee.
Now that your dough had enough time chillin' in the fridge it's time to preheat the oven to 170°C. Dump your dough onto a surface dusted with flour and roll the dough to 4 millimeters thick. Cut your cookies with different shaped cutters. Now place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Clickety click Barba trick:
Vanilla sugar is easy to make at home. Get an airtight container and fill it with sugar. Slice a vanilla bean in half and scrape the inside of the bean with a sharp knife. Add the vanilla bean and seeds to the sugar. Mix it, close the lid, let the sugar rest for a week and voila you have vanilla sugar. When you use vanilla beans in a recipe don't throw them away, but add them to your vanilla sugar. When you are getting low on sugar, add more sugar to your container. This way you will always have vanilla sugar on hand.
A healthy recipe to celebrate pancake day
If you dare to wake me up during the night you'd better bring some banana pancakes. They are the only legit reason to wake me up. If pancake day is today's trending topic I can’t let this moment pass without showing my appreciation to this sweetest sin. To make me less a sinner I always make my own healthy version. A healthy body makes a happy mind after all.
Difficulty level: Easy peasy
Put it all together in a blender and bake away!